Medvedgrad (“The town of bears”) is a medieval castle, located on a small hill near the capital of Croatia, Zagreb. The castle was built in the 13th century after the Tartars invaded and burned the city of Zagreb and devasted the whole area. The castle was owned by several families during the following years, until 1590 when an earthquake devastated it. Medvedgrad remained in abandoned and in ruins until the late 20th century when some parts of the castle were reconstructed. You can observe the chapel of Saint Philip and Jacob, residential palace, part of reconstructed walls, the tower and enjoy the amazing view of the city of Zagreb. Just below the tower, there is a monument called “Oltar Domovine” (Altar of the homeland), dedicated to all the Croatian soldiers that were killed during the Croatian War of Independence.
The town gates open:
- May to September from 11 am – 7 pm every day except Mondays
- September to October from10 am – 6 pm every day except Mondays
- October to November from 8:30 am – 4 pm every day except Mondays
- December to March – closed, except for groups previously announced to the Public Institution Nature Park Medvednica
- April to May – open on weekends from 11 am to 7 pm